ITR Refund: The Income Tax Department has announced that it has issued refunds of over ₹12,038 crore to more than 10.83 lakh taxpayers between 1st April 2021 to 26th April 2021. The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) made an announcement in this regard. After this announcement, a taxpayer still waiting for its Income Tax Return (ITR) refund claim need to know that ITR refund comes within 10 working days of ITR filing. So, those taxpayers who have filed their ITR and waiting for their ITR refund are advised to check their ITR refund status if it is more than 10 working days since their ITR filing.
An income tax refund is due to a taxpayer if he has paid taxes higher when compared to his actual tax liability. When a taxpayer claims a refund in his return of income, the tax department processes such a return, and the taxpayer would receive an intimation from CPC under Section 143(1) which will confirm the quantum of refund that the taxpayer is eligible to receive.
There are two ways one can track their income tax refund status.
- On the income tax e-filing website
- On the TIN NSDL website
How to check Income Tax Refund status: Through an e-filing website
- Visit the income tax e-filing portal.
- Log in to the e-Filing website with a User ID, Password, Date of Birth / Date of Incorporation, and Captcha.
- Go to My Account and click on “Refund/Demand Status”.
- Select ‘Income Tax Returns’ from the drop-down menu and click on submit.
- Now click on your acknowledgment number, For FY 2019-20, the assessment year is AY 2020-21.
- A new webpage will appear on your screen showing complete details of your ITR filing – from the date of ITR filed to ITR processed and the date of issuing a refund.
How to check Income Tax Refund status: Through the NSDL website
- Click here which takes you to the NSDL website for checking the refund status.
- The below screen appears where you can feed in details of your PAN, the AY, and the image appearing on the screen and then click on “Submit”.