RC renewal: To encourage people for the voluntary vehicle-scrapping policy announced in the Union Budget on February 1, the Centre has issued a draft notification to increase the cost of renewal, registration, and fitness certificate of vehicles older than 15 years.
The Union Road and Transport Ministry has issued the Central Motor Vehicle (Amendment) Rules, 2021, under which it has proposed a hike in charges for renewal and grant of fitness certificate of vehicles older than 15 years. The proposed legislation will come into effect from October 1, 2021.
According to the draft notification, an individual will have to shell out up to Rs 5,000 for renewing the registration of his more than a 15-year-old car — eight times higher than the current price. For two-wheelers, the charges of renewal and registration would be Rs 1,000 compared to the current fee of Rs 300. For more than 15-year-old imported vehicles, the proposed renewal fee is Rs 40,000.
RC Renewal, Car, Bike, Vehicle Registration Charges:
New Registration and Renewal fee for personal vehicles (Proposed)
1. The new registration for your motorcycle may cost you Rs 300. However, if your motorcycle is 15-year older or more, the renewal fee of Rs 1,000 is likely to be charged, as per the proposal.
2. If you want to obtain a new registration for your three-wheeler, you may have to pay Rs 600 whereas the renewal for your 15-year-old three-wheeler is likely to charge Rs 2,500.
3. If you want a new registration for your car or jeep, you may require paying Rs 600. However, the renewal for a 15-year-old jeep or car is likely to cost you Rs 5000.
4. If you have an imported car, the new registration fee can be Rs 5000. However, if you have a 15-year-old imported car, then you may have to spend Rs 40,000 for the renewal of registration.
New Registration and Renewal fee for Commercial vehicles (Proposed)
1. The new fitness certificate for your motorcycle used for commercial purposes may cost you Rs 500. The renewal of a 15-year-old motorcycle used for commercial purposes is likely to attract Rs 1000.
2. The new fitness certificate for a commercial three-wheeler may cost you Rs 1000 but the renewal of a 15-year old three-wheeler is likely to have a fee of Rs 3,500.
3. If you want to obtain a new fitness certificate for a taxi or cab, you may well have to pay Rs 1000, but a renewal for a 15-year-old commercial taxi or cab is likely to cost you Rs 7,000.
4. A new fitness certificate for medium goods or passenger commercial vehicle is likely to cost you Rs 1,300 but the renewal for 15-year-old medium goods or passenger commercial vehicles may force you to pay Rs 10,000.
5. If you want to have a new registration for heavy goods and passenger cars, you may need to pay Rs 1,500. However, for the renewal of such vehicles aged 15 years or more, you may have to pay Rs 12,500.