We’re halfway through 2019, so what better time to take stock of what this year brought to us in terms of entertainment and pop culture? Here are the best films, web series, songs, and albums so far, and also looking at what else is in store for the rest of the year. We are already halfway through the year and so far, the Hindi film audience has seen films like Uri, Bharat, Gully Boy, and Kabir Singh among others and have made them a success. The year started on a high note with Vicky Kaushal starrer Uri and Kangana Ranaut starrer Manikarnika: The Queen of Jhansi. The likes of Total Dhamaal and Luka Chuppi have also impressed the audience this year. Here are the upcoming Bollywood movies of 2019.
If the first six months of 2019 are to go by, the year has been a mix of hits and misses as far as Bollywood films are concerned. The first half saw a few great films, a couple of which may go down in the anvils of Hindi cinema. But there were some hidden gems that did not perform well at the box office but were worthy of applause anyway.
Best Bollywood movies of 2019 so far:
- Gully Boy – This was the Ranveer Singh and Alia Bhatt starrer which was directed by Zoya Akhtar. She brought to life quite tangibly, his journey from an introverted slum dweller to a breakout gully rap star.
- Article 15- The movie starring Ayushmann Khurana was directed by Anubhav Sinha. He’s call-for-action was a rather brave attempt at touching upon the taboo of caste discrimination. He took into account not only recent instances of heinous crimes stemming from caste discrimination and weaved them with a suspense thriller.
- Kalank- The movie starring Sanjay Dutt, Varun Dhawan, Alia Bhatt, Sonakshi Sinha, Madhuri Dixit Nene and Aditya Roy Kapur was directed by Abhishek Verma. The romance of Bahaar Beghum and Balraj Chaudhary (Sanjay Dutt) played out in a new era between Zafar and Roop (Alia Bhatt) and took a life of its own. Pritam’s fabulous music served as a great additional narrative tool.
Upcoming Bollywood movies of 2o19:
- Super 30- Starring Hrithik Roshan in the lead role, Super 30 is based on the life of mathematician and teacher Anand Kumar. Also starring Mrunal Thakur and Aditya Shrivastav and Pankaj Tripathi among others, the film has been directed by Vikas Bahl. Super 30 was earlier supposed to release in January but was then postponed to July.
- Judgementall hai kya- Starring Kangana Ranaut and Rajkummar Rao in lead roles, Judgementall Hai Kya’s trailer was well received by the audience. The film is a murder mystery directed by Prakash Kovelamudi and produced by Ekta Kapoor’s Balaji Motion Pictures. The trailer showcased two flawed characters, Bobby and Keshav, who are accused of murder but try to put the blame on each other. The film’s title was changed after CBFC’s directives.
- Khandaani Shafakhana- Starring Sonakshi Sinha in the lead role, Khandaani Shafakhana also stars Varun Sharma and Badshah. This film marks the debut of Badshah in Hindi movies. The film’s recreated songs “Koka” and “Sheher Ki Ladki” have already created quite a stir.
- Saaho– Prabhas’ big comeback after the monstrous success of Baahubali, Saaho releases in Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, and Malayalam. Also starring Shradha Kapoor, Chunky Pandey, Jackie Shroff, Neil Nitin Mukesh, Prakash Belavadi, Vennela Kishore and others, the film is being helmed by Sujeeth. The action film is the most anticipated film of the year.
- Mission Mangal- Chronicling India’s journey to Mars, Mission Mangal stars Akshay Kumar, Vidya Balan, Taapsee Pannu, Sonakshi Sinha, Kirti Kulhari, Sharman Joshi and Nithya Menen in significant roles. The film is directed by Jagan Shakti.