The Ministry of Civil Aviation is adding a Digital experience for Air Travellers through DigiYatra Platform. The ‘DigiYatra‘ is an industry-led initiative co-ordinated by the Ministry in line with Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s Digital India’s vision to transform the nation into a digitally empowered society.
Digi Yatra – Digital processing of passengers at the airports. Passengers will be automatically processed based on facial recognition system at checkpoints like; Entry point check, Entry into Security Check, Aircraft Boarding, Additionally this will also facilitate self-Bag Drop and Check-in, using facial recognition to identify pax and data recall. Digi Yatra will facilitate paperless travel and avoid identity check at multiple points.
- A passenger can create Digi Yatra ID in a central system by providing the following:
1. Name, 2. Email ID, 3. Mobile Number, 4. Details of Identity (Voter Id, Driving License, Aadhar etc)
- On submission, Digi Yatra Id will be created. Pax can quote this number while booking the ticket. Pax data including Digi Yatra ID will be passed on to departure airport by the airlines.
- On first travel, the Pax has to go to registration kiosk at the airport for validating the ID.
1. In the case of Aadhaar, the verification will be online. 2. In the case of other ids, CISF will manually verify.
- On successful verification, the photo of pax will be added to the Digi Yatra profile in the central system.
PROCESSES AT AIRPORT
- At the entry point E-Gate the Pax will scan his boarding pass or e-ticket (Print or a soft copy in mobile).
- On scanning the bar code/ QR code the system will validate the passenger details and flight details.
- Digi Yatra ID will verify the identity by Face Recognition.
- On successful verification of Ticket and Digi Yatra ID, e-Gate will open. Also, Face with ticket PNR is made into a single token for the rest of the journey at the airport.
- The passenger will gain entry to the security area and aircraft Boarding through e-Gate operated on Facial Recognition System
- Pax need not show boarding pass or ID at multiple checkpoints.
- Minimum human intervention. Less queuing time.
- The security is enhanced as the system will map the passenger with the PNR. The only bona fide passenger will be allowed entry at every checkpoint.
- Airport operator will have real-time information on Passenger load and resource planning becomes better.
- Airlines will be benefitted by knowing the passenger position in the airport.
- Airport throughput will be enhanced.
DIGI YATRA ROADMAP
- Digi Yatra Central platform will be operational by end of February 2019.
- Bangalore and Hyderabad will be ready with pilot implementation by end of Feb 2019.
- AAI intends to roll out the programme initially at Kolkata, Varanasi, Pune, and Vijayawada, by April 2019.
Key Pillars – Digi Yatra platform will be built on 4 key pillars, like Connected Passengers, Connected Airports, Connected Flying and Connected Systems which can make it possible over a period of time for passengers to:
- Plan their trips efficiently by identifying price trends and estimate future airfares at the time of ticket booking,
- Optionally link their Aadhaar to airlines and other ecosystem players at the time of booking for faster airport entry and automated check-ins without requiring any paper-based interventions,
- Walk-through security scanners swiftly owing to advanced biometric security solutions,
- Receive relevant information pertaining to various facilities, protocols, airline timings, queue lengths at airports etc.,
- Engage in customized digital offerings at experience zones,
- Get real-time notifications about congestion and delays to have greater visibility on the next step of the journey,
- Conveniently navigate through the airport using digital guidance systems, interactive kiosks and augmented reality apps,
- Stay connected during flights and indulge in immersive experiences. Also book in-flight services and destination based offerings digitally,
- Get a prompt when their luggage reaches the baggage claim belt, and
- Submit grievances, share experiences and provide feedback.