Aadhaar Card For Children: Aadhaar cards are must for everyone. An individual of any age can apply for Aadhaar, even new-born and kids can apply for the same.The 12-digit identification number, which is issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), can be used as an identity (ID) proof.
The Aadhaar enrolment for children is quite similar to that of adults. Parents will have to go to the nearest enrolment centre and fill in the enrolment form. The Aadhaar card for a child will be issued free of cost. There will be no biometric data captured in case of children below 5 years of age.
Aadhaar Card Update For Child
- If the child is below 5 years of age, one of the parents or guardian has to authenticate on behalf of the child and also give consent for enrolment of the minor by signing the enrolment form, according to details provided by UIDAI.
- If the child is an NRI, then valid Indian passport of the child is mandatory as Proof of Identity (PoI), the UIDAI says.
- If the child is an Indian resident, then any valid proof of relationship document such as Birth Certificate, along with Aadhaar of the parent or guardian, can be used for enrolment, as per UIDAI.
- If the child is between 5 to 18 years of age, one of the parents or guardian has to give consent for enrolment of the minor by signing the enrolment form, UIDAI says.
- “In Aadhaar, fingerprints and iris scans are not captured while enrolling the children below 5 years of age, only a photograph is taken. Once the child attains the age of 5, biometrics need to be updated mandatorily,” UIDAI tweeted.
In #Aadhaar, fingerprints and iris scans are not captured while enrolling the children below 5 years of age, only a photograph is taken. Once the child attains the age of 5, biometrics need to be updated mandatorily. #AadhaarEnrolment #BiometricUpdate pic.twitter.com/Fn6mHSW1Ui
— Aadhaar (@UIDAI) July 26, 2021
How to Apply for Aadhaar for Children below 5 Years of Age
The process of enrolling children for Aadhaar is a bit different from that of adults. The type of documents required for enrolling children for Aadhaar is also different for children. Here’s how to apply children below 5 years for Aadhaar:
Step 1: Visit a nearby Aadhaar Enrolment Centre (You can locate a nearby Enrolment Centre online as well)
Step 2: Fill the Aadhaar Enrolment Form mentioning your Aadhaar number on it
Step 3: Any one of the parents have to provide Aadhaar details for enrolling children below 5 years
Step 4: The photograph of your child will be taken
Step 5: The address and other demographic details are to be filled from the parent’s Aadhaar
Step 6: Submit a copy of the birth certificate of the child
Step 7: The Aadhaar executive will hand over the acknowledgement slip that contains the enrolment number
Step 8: The enrolment number can be used to check the status of Aadhaar generation
How to Apply for Aadhaar for Children above 5 years of Age?
You have to follow these steps for enrolling your child between 5 to 15 years of age for Aadhaar:
Step 1: Visit a nearby Aadhaar Enrolment Centre to apply for Aadhaar for your child
Step 2: Fill the Aadhaar Enrolment form with all the required details
Step 3: Mention your Aadhaar number and details in case you do not have a valid address proof of your child
Step 4: Submit the form along with relevant documents to the executive
Step 5: The executive will take your child’s biometrics (10 fingerprints, iris scan, and photograph)
Step 6: Once the process is completed, an acknowledgement slip is generated
Step 7: The acknowledgement slip contains the enrolment ID that contains the enrolment number and time and date of the enrolment
Step 8: The enrolment ID can be used to check the status of Aadhaar