To make your rail travel more transparent and hassle-free, the Indian Railways has launched a customer-friendly refund system. The Railways has initiated an OTP (One time Password) based refund system for reserved e-tickets which are cancelled. The same refund system is applicable for fully wait-listed dropped tickets.
- While booking tickets in bulk, customers should provide the mobile number of one of the passengers to the IRCTC agent
- The recently launched refund system will ensure more transparency in the refund system
The new refund system has already been implemented by Indian Railway Catering & Tourism Corporation Limited (IRCTC), according to a press release. The OTP-based refund system is only applicable if you book your tickets through IRCTC authorised agents.
How will it work?
When a customer books a ticket through authorised IRCTC agent, he/she needs to provide their mobile numbers. At the time of cancellation, he/she will receive an OTP on their mobile numbers. Customers will also receive a message mentioning the refund amount. Then the passenger needs to share the OTP with the agent who booked the ticket for receiving the refund. The same procedure is applicable for a fully wait-listed dropped ticket, said Indian Railways.
While booking tickets in bulk, customers should provide the mobile number of one of the passengers to the IRCTC agent. Passengers must ensure that the IRCTC agent records the correct mobile number at the time of booking the e-tickets.
The recently launched refund system will ensure more transparency in the refund system. The aim is to streamline the cancellation process along with a timely refund, said IRCTC.
“It is a user-friendly facility wherein passenger will come to know about the exact refund amount received by agent on his behalf against cancelled ticket or fully wait-listed dropped ticket,” IRCTC said in a press release.
In Order To Avail This Facility By Indian Railways:
1. To provide the correct mobile number of one of the passengers to the IRCTC authorised website at the time of booking reserved rail e-tickets.
2. To note that only IRCTC authorised website are permitted to book reserved rail e-tickets to the customer.
3. To note that OTP based refund for cancelled tickets or fully waitlisted dropped tickets, will be processed only if the ticket is booked through IRCTC authorised website.
It is worth mentioning that IRCTC levies 25 per cent of the fare as the cancellation charge subject to a minimum amount fixed for every class if a confirmed ticket is cancelled within 48 hours and up to 12 hours before the scheduled departure of the train. The ticket cancellation fee escalates to 50 per cent of the fare if a confirmed ticket is cancelled less than 12 hours and up to four hours before the scheduled departure of the train.