Driving-license-aadhar-linking: Driving Licenses are issued by the Road Transport Department of every state or the union territory. The Road Transport Minister has issued a draft that any type of contactless service provided through the portal will require an Aadhar authentication.
Driving license holders and vehicle owners would need to get Aadhar authentication to avail of 16 types of online and contactless services such as learner’s license, renewal of DL, and change of address in DL.
A driving license is a mandatory requirement and it is an official document issued by the Government of India that permits an individual to operate one or more types of motorized vehicles such as motorbike, car, bus, truck, etc. on a public road. The Motor Vehicles Act of 1988 states that no individual without a driving license is authorized to drive a motor vehicle in a public place.
The driving license issued in one state is valid across all the other states and Union Territories in India and hence there is no need to have multiple driving licenses. As per the rules framed by the Road Transport Department, a person cannot possess more than one driving license.
The Aadhaar-based unified platform will help the authorized agencies to avail and verify the license details of every car owner across the country.
Here is how to link a driving license with an Aadhaar card online:
- Visit the official road transport department’s website of your state or UT.
- Now click on Link Aadhaar and select Driving License from the drop-down menu.
- Then enter your driving license number.
- Now click on Get Details
- Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number and mobile number in the fields provided (Remember that your mobile number should be the one registered with UIDAI)
- Then click on Submit to complete the process.
- After this, you will receive the OTP on your registered mobile
- Enter the OTP to complete the process to link Aadhaar with driving licenses.
Benefits of linking Aadhaar Card with Driving Licence
As the government of India has started a drive to link aadhar with many other important documents to check fraudulent activities, linking aadhar number with the driving license is a step to curb holding more than one driving license. The road transport laws in India clearly state that no one should hold more than one driving license and registering more than one driving license per individual is an offense. In India, the driving license which is issued in one state holds validity in every other state and Union Territory across the country.
If in case, individuals are holding more than one driving license, then the same can be voluntarily surrendered at the regional Road Transport Departments. The government is planning to expedite the linking process of Aadhaar with a driving license which will be introduced after the finalization of the legal provisions by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. Post enforcement, the process will help to track down fake and multiple driving license – holders.
The following are the benefits of linking an Aadhaar Card with Driving License:
- Track fake license holders from the genuine ones
- Track multiple license holders and helps to take necessary stern actions
- Helps in seamless functioning of State Transport Departments
- The process of linking aadhaar with driving license will bring the whole operation under one umbrella.
- Aadhaar based unified platform will help the authorized agencies to avail and verify the license details of every car owner across the country.
- A central online database will help to store the details of the drivers and this will be available across the country so that no one can renew duplicate licenses.
- The decision to link Aadhaar with driving license is to check anti-corruption and promote transparency.
- Tasks related to various transport department operations will be enforced quickly and in a hassle freeway.
- The entire process will be operated electronically and individuals will be issued their driving license within 72 hours of passing the driving test.
- The number of road accidents will come down gradually as no one will get their driving license without clearing the driving test.