Recharge FASTag: Starting 15 December, it is mandatory to have FASTags on your vehicle to pay tolls at National Highways across India. Some toll booths have been charging twice the toll for not complying and entering lanes reserved for FASTag users.
What are FASTags?
FASTag is an initiative introduced by the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) in association with National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) for making automated payment deductions at toll plazas using prepaid rechargeable tags that work on RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) technology.
How Do FASTags work?
Normally affixed to the vehicle’s windscreen, a FASTag enables payment of toll with just a momentary slowdown. When the vehicle reaches the toll plaza, a reader will detect the chip on the tag and deduct the toll amount from the bank account or prepaid wallet linked to the FASTag.
If you have a Paytm account, here’s how you can buy & Recharge FASTag over the app:
- Open the app and tap on the “FASTag & Toll” option that is currently placed on the home page. Alternatively, you can find the option under “City Services” within the app.
- To purchase a FASTag, tap on the “Buy Fastag” option.
- On the next page, you will have to provide your vehicle registration number along with the front and back photos of the vehicle’s RC (size of the file should be smaller than 4 KB).
- At present, the FASTags are being distributed for free by the government. However, you will have to pay Rs 400 towards the minimum balance and refundable security deposit over Paytm. Rs 150 out of the total payment will be added to your wallet.
- Tap on “Buy.”
- The tag will be delivered to the address registered at the time of Paytm KYC after verification of the uploaded details. The purchased FASTag will be mapped directly to the mobile number, which is used during order placement.
You do not need to make recharges specifically for the FASTag after it is linked to your Paytm wallet. The money will be automatically deducted from your wallet but note that there is a lag time of 20 minutes between adding money to your wallet and using the tag for toll payments.
- Paytm FASTag is a simple and reusable tag based on RFID technology.
- Each tag is linked to a registered Paytm Wallet to facilitate automatic deduction of toll charges.
- Paytm wallet users will get 2.5 percent cash back for the financial year 2019-20.
How to use Paytm FASTag?
- Affix Paytm FASTag on the vehicle’s windshield.
- Add money to your Paytm Wallet.
- Enter dedicated FASTag lane at any National Highway Toll Plaza.
- Tag reader at Toll Plaza reads your vehicle’s FASTag, and applicable toll charges get deducted from the linked Paytm account.
- The boom barrier will open on payment, for your vehicle to pass.
Things to note
- In case the tag is damaged/lost/not working, do not place a new order. Call Paytm FASTag’s Toll-Free Number: 1800-102-6480 or write to FASTag@paytm.com. Orders placed to this effect will be auto-canceled.
- In case your vehicle is registered with a vehicle identification number (Chassis Number), call customer care number 1800-102-6480 to get it updated with Vehicle Registration Number of your vehicle.
- If you are using a pre-owned vehicle, make sure the previous owner of the vehicle closes the old FASTag that is affixed on the vehicle.
- To deactivate FASTag and apply for security deposit refund, call on 1800-102-6480.
Orders may be auto-canceled if:
- Necessary documents are not submitted or verification of submitted documents has failed.
- If duplicate orders are placed for the same vehicle.
- If the Paytm customer has not completed their minimum KYC procedure for the wallet.