People of all age love to ride a bike or drive a car. They prefer to be independent and be able to travel from one point to another without depending on others. Though learning how to drive is the first step. So, how to apply for a learning license and what subjects are covered in driving preliminary test are the most important steps if you decide to drive on the roads. Applying for a learning license is a very easy procedure. Unlike decades ago, people can now go online and apply for a driving license in a few seconds. You do not have to stand in a long queue to submit your DL application.
With the introduction of the online Learner’s License application, applicants can fill out the form and submit it as well as book their driving test appointment, all from the comfort of their home. Similarly, one can also submit an online appointment for driving license.
Documents To Be Submitted for Learner’s License:
- Physical Fitness Declaration (form 1).
- Passport-sized photographs.
- Medical certificate (form 1-A).
- Proof of address (Passport, Ration card, Life Insurance policy, Voter’s identity card, Affidavit sworn before a Public Notary or Magistrate)
- Proof of age (Passport, Voter’s identity card, Birth certificate, School matriculation certificate, Life insurance policy, Affidavit sworn before a Public Notary or Magistrate)
Learner’s Licence Test Slot Booking:
Booking a test slot for a learner’s license can also be done online through the Sarathi website. Applicants applications forms have been processed will receive a notification regarding the same. Following this, they can book a test slot on the website.
They will have to follow the below mentioned procedure:
- Visit the Sarathi website.
- On the homepage, click on the Online Slot Booking option under the Sarathi Services column.
- Click on “LL Slot Booking on the tab that opens and select “LL Test for Online Applications”.
- Enter the Web Application Number and the applicant’s date of birth (in dd/mm/yyyy format)
- A calendar with the available slots will open in a new tab. Select the date and check for availability before confirming the appointment.
- Click ‘confirm’, whereupon an acknowledgment will be displayed on the screen.
- The applicant is to be present at the test center at the appointed time with the original documents and the acknowledgment.
A Learner’s Licence is valid for a period of 6 months from the date of issue. If you are applying for a Learner’s Licence, it is compulsory to submit a medical certificate at the time of application. If one fails the driving test, he can apply for re-test after 7 days. One can renew it within 5 yrs of expiry, but driving with an expired license is an offense.
The applicant should fulfill the following pre-requisites:
- For non-geared small vehicles, he should be above the age of 16 yrs, but in that case, one should have a prior consent from the parents or guardians.
- For geared light motor vehicles he should be above the age of 18 yrs.
- For commercial driving of transport vehicles, he should have an 1 year experience.
- Medical certificate is mandatory by law in all the above cases.
Fees for Learning License: Rs 150
Subjects Covered in the “Learning License Test”:
- Related to “Traffic Signs”, “Traffic Signals” and “Rules and Regulations” as stated in MV Act.
- Related to duties of drivers on road.
- Related to precautions to be kept while traveling by road.
- Related to documents required while traveling.